“Agrodolce” means “sour and sweet” in Italian. This chunky condiment is so satisfyingly delicious it will become a favorite. It’s the perfect complement for buttery Ruby Red Trout and uses staple ingredients that you already have on hand.
Grilled Ruby Red Trout with Italian Agrodolce and Grilled Asparagus
Ingredients for the Agrodolce
- ¼ cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup skin-on almonds, coarsely chopped and toasted
- 1 small red onion very thinly sliced, rinsed and patted dry
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt to taste
- Parsley sprigs with tender stems
- Place raisins in a small bowl and pour vinegar over raisins. Vinegar should cover the raisins.
- Let raisins sit, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes for raisins to soften.
- Meanwhile combine oil and almonds in a small skillet and cook over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until flesh is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool.
- Mix raisins, onion, lemon zest, and red pepper flakes in to almonds, season with salt. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Toss in parsley just before serving.
Ingredients for the Trout and Asparagus:
- 4 (6-ounce) Clear Springs Ruby Red Rainbow Trout fillets, thawed and patted dry
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 16 thin asparagus spears, trimmed and brushed with olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh lemon
- Pre-heat grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
- Brush Ruby Red Trout with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place skin side down on grill and cook for 4-5 minutes. Turn over and continue to grill.
- Add asparagus on opposite side of grill and season with salt and pepper.
- When trout is opaque and flakey, and asparagus is cooked crisp-tender, remove to plates and top with the Agrodolce.